Thursday, January 28, 2016

Floating Bench

Last time I mentioned that I liked the idea of a floating bench or ledge to maintain some visual real estate.  I love all of these:

source

source

source
So step one in my project was to figure out the bench situation.

Then why am I showing you a picture of my kitchen when we moved in?  See that butcher block counter top on the island?  We saved that and it has been sitting in our basement for the past 8 years.


Sean and I ripped a piece down to the size we needed to fit the area.


I dry fit the wood into place using my porch garden stools.  Good fit and height.



There was some leftover crayon, stickers, etc. from the prior owners so I sanded everything smooth using an orbital sander.

Then my 5 year old and I conditioned, stained and poly'ed the wood.  I used 4 coats of poly because I imagine that bench is going to see a lot of use.


I used Minwax Special Walnut.  I wanted a brown color without hiding the grain.


Once we finished staining and poly'ing we had to figure out how to mount it.  It is a solid 1.5" thick which means the bench is probably 80 lbs.  Figuring out to mount a piece that heavy (that also has to hold a person) and be floating was challenging.  While not a perfect solution we decided to mount them using these brackets (affiliate) which hold 1,000 lbs:

2 brackets were mounted into the studs.  My stud installing them into the studs.


You can see they are a little visible but once boots, baskets, etc. are placed under the bench they really do disappear.  


Side note, how ugly is that floor?  It is sitting in 2" of concrete so while we've pulled most of it out of the house this small section remains.   For as ugly as it is, it really does hold up well against the snow and salt.  Does anyone know if I can tile right over it?  It is about 1/2" lower than the hardwood that meets it and is in solid condition.



Now that the floating bench is complete, time to move on to the wall storage above it!


4 comments:

  1. Looks great Meg and you can hardly see the floor now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Meg and you can hardly see the floor now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What’s Taking place i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It positively helpful and it has aided me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution & assist different users like its helped me. Great job!
    온라인섯다

    ReplyDelete